Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Southern Stories

I have always loved Southern stories, whether Faulkner, O'Conner or Joel Chandler Harris. They are part of my roots. I was fortunate to get Wido Publishing interested in my first novel: Mississippi Cotton. When they first offered to publish, they were even kind enough to promote it in the same vein as A Painted House and To Kill a Mockingbird. I was happy they understood the story-telling aspect of it. Southern stories are always first (in my opinion) about story and then about writing.

3 comments:

  1. Southern stories are my favorites too!!

    I agree that stories are about story first. Without a good story, of what significance is good writing?!

    Looking forward to your debut novel. I'm heavy on nostalgia, too!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a big fan of Southern Literature--especially O'Connor, Faulkner, and Cormac McCarthy. I live in Los Angeles having moved here from East Tennessee. Good luck with your upcoming novel and with your blog. I am proud to become your second follower.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have another follower Paul! I look forward to more of your Southern stories!

    ReplyDelete